Already have a claim? Managing at home

Managing at home



If you are unable to carry out your normal household duties as a result of your injury, we can assist with a temporary allowance to enable you to engage someone to assist you with these duties. The duties you claim must be those that you normally carried out at least once per week prior to your accident and can include some minor gardening duties.

The Housekeeping Allowance is:

  • Not payable for the first 7 days, commencing from the day of the accident or for any period where you are outside the Commonwealth of Australia.
  • Limited to a maximum weekly amount of $250.00.
  • Payable for a maximum period of 26 weeks from the date of the motor accident while you are unfit to perform your normal household duties (39 weeks if you were an inpatient at a hospital for a continuous period of more than 4 days commencing on the date of the motor accident).

Should you have employed the services of a housekeeper prior to your accident, only the additional hours/duties may be reimbursed.

Reimbursement for housekeeping undertaken by a relative will not be made unless previously authorised by a claims officer.

Reimbursement for housekeeping undertaken by someone living in your home will not be made.

To claim the Housekeeping Allowance, you must:

  • Engage the housekeeper directly and negotiate an hourly rate payable to them.
  • Pay the housekeeper directly and claim a reimbursement of those expenses from the MAIB.

To claim reimbursement of your housekeeping expenses, please provide us with the following:

  • A Medical Certificate stating you are wholly disabled from undertaking your usual household duties within the first 20 days of the motor accident.
  • A completed Housekeeping Declaration (Form N) which provides us with the details of the housekeeper you have engaged to undertake the housekeeping duties on your behalf.
  • A Housekeeping Allowance (Form Q) completed by both you and the housekeeper as a declaration that the housekeeper has received payment for the duties undertaken.

The Housekeeping Allowance is reduced, or may not be paid if you were the driver of a motor vehicle in the accident and you are convicted of exceeding .05 or a similar offence. Payment may be suspended pending the result of any charges.

Rehabilitation services

Rehabilitation services at home

We can engage the services of a range of skilled rehabilitation providers to assist you to:

  • Assess your requirement for medical aids and equipment, modifications to your home or vehicle.
  • Arrange the scope and duties of in-home attendant care support.

Medical Aids, Equipment and Modifications

To assist you to regain your independence after your accident, we can engage the services of a registered occupational therapist to:

  • Prescribe equipment that will facilitate and/or maximise your independence, recovery and safety.
  • Prescribe modifications to your environment (work and/or home) to assist you regain your independence and participation in work and home tasks (rails, shower hoses, seating, workstation equipment etc).
  • For those with substantial long term injuries this may include an assessment to establish if more extensive modifications need to be made to your home or vehicle.

Attendant Care Support

Attendant Care supports people who have been injured in a motor accident to perform their usual activities of everyday living.

The level and type of Attendant Care required will be determined by a Support Needs Assessor (SNA). A SNA is a specially trained health professional who will work with you, your family and your medical team to determine your support needs, and will regularly review your situation as you regain independence.

The MAIB has contracted ARC Support Services and Anglicare Tasmania to provide Attendant Care for its clients. You may choose which agency will provide your attendant care. If you do not choose, an agency will be allocated for you.

ARC and Anglicare will provide and supervise the support staff. Support staff provide assistance with direct personal care tasks that may include; showering, toileting, grooming meal assistance, mobility, rehabilitation, communication, personal administration, shopping and/or other independent living skills.

Attendant Care does not include:

  • Housework, domestic chores or gardening. This is covered by the housekeeping allowance.
  • Transport. This is covered by the travel allowance.

How are these expenses paid?

  • The attendant care provider will invoice the MAIB directly.